Wednesday 7 January 2009

stood up - the sequel

no, I wasn't stood up again

I made the boy come to my office building (he's now referred to amongst my friends as 'Mr Late') and predictably he got lost between the illogically numbered collection of buildings to which my office belongs. He rung me in distress and mentioned he could see 'some castle thing' ahead. He threw me with that, until... 'you don't mean Tower Bridge do you?' Followed by much laughter on my end of the phone - Mr Late is an Englishman, correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't Tower Bridge somewhat of an iconic symbol of London?

Reading his profile online I feared that he'd rate himself hugely and in short, shit me up the wall (yes, sounding very Australian there) with his arrogance. In truth, he was quite shy - made me realise just how attractive I find confidence in a man. He's 26, new to London and new to his career, his boyish enthusiasm actually made me feel old. tragic.

The problem with catching up for drinks after work is that after two glasses of wine on an empty stomach and I'm slaughtered. Almost stumbled at the bar when fetching the third round... (make that a small wine, thanks.)

He suggests food, I tell him I have to get home and see his face fall. After he returns from the gents I suggest a Lebanese place down the road and the food is as good as I remember and the company is lovely. Just don't feel the urge to pin him down and shag him. We tube it home and when it's my stop I kiss him on the cheek and that's that.

Second date goes much the same - fun time, good company... and then we have to go our separate directions on the tube so it's a peck on the cheek and a goodbye.

Later I get a text saying he's 'vexed that he bottled it with regards to a proper goodnight kiss'. cute. He promises to bring along more courage next time, but I fear the pressure of the aforementioned - nay *promised* - kiss may just make him uncomfortable.

I received a (I suspect drunken) text from the boy new year's day, lamenting the amount of beer he'd been consuming and ending with 'why aren't you here?' My darling-friend-and-flatmate (who was kicking back in Edinburgh with me at the time) tried to convince me it was sweet, but the (dominant) blokey-commitment-phobe side of me just thought it smacked of neediness - especially coming from someone who's yet to even kiss me!

I haven't messaged him back or heard from him since, however we've never really maintained regular contact. For the time being there are other guys to date - more online friends - one of whom I'm meeting with tonight...

No comments: